Friday, May 20, 2016

Little things magnified vs. there's much more of the world to experience

You don't have to like it.

With the various shenanigans that I'm doing to make it so that I'm okay with something or that my 5 year old is more okay with something, it seems like all the energy and attention that are going to these shenanigans such that little things are getting magnified...it seems like there wouldn't be a need for all of that if "Let's figure out how to make this more okay" were replaced with "You don't have to like it."

Wow, I'm sensing a lot of freedom I could get from "You don't have to like it."

"You don't have to fix it" seems like a variation of this that could also be powerful.

There's much more of the world to experience. If I could say "No big deal" more often, then there's much more of the world I could be experiencing.

Taking on "No big deal" and "You don't have to fix it" seems important to shift to with parenting my 5 year old. One thing that I've really taken on board is how important it is to acknowledge and validate what's going on for someone. That is indeed really important. But, I may have gone overboard with it. I get stuck continuing to acknowledge and validate because that comes easily to me, and I don't then shift to moving on from that. Often, it's because there's no easy answer for what to do next, whereas acknowledging and validating is straightforward for me. The cost of my getting stuck and not moving on is that I'm not communicating that there's much more of the world to experience. Instead, little things are getting magnified. That's what I now see that I've been modeling for my 5 year old. I've been modeling a magnification of little things.

The process of writing the last paragraph caused me to see how acknowledging and validating can clash with "No big deal." This is causing me to see if there's a way that my conductor could talk to me such that I get both. Perhaps, they don't need to clash. I can do the one first, and that can make "No big deal" possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment